- Vegetable oil
- 400 grams (1 pound) Ground Beef / Mince
- 1 medium brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4-cups mixed vegetables (I usually use 1 cup frozen corn and three cups of mixed frozen peas and carrots, but beans are also good)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of fresh ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 large potatoes mashed (about 3-cups)
- Grated cheddar cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F).
Brown the beef and onion in a pan with the oil.
Add the garlic and mixed vegetables. Continue to stir the ingredients until the vegetables are tender.
Mix in the salt, pepper and other herbs and stir it all together.
Pour the mixture into a 6×9” casserole dish that’s been either sprayed with oil or buttered. Cover the mixture with the mashed potato and bake it until the edges are browned, which is about 30-minutes.
My wife’s preference for this recipe is to cover the shepherd’s pie with cheese before baking. The cheese melts and browns during baking and tastes great.
The last time I made this recipe I poured some brown gravy over the Shepherd’s Pie before serving and it added a great richness to the meal. Next time I make this I will probably add the gravy again.